Adding sticky notes to your desktop Mac is a simple and effective way to keep important information and reminders visible and organized. With just a few clicks, you can create personalized sticky notes and have them displayed on your desktop at all times.
In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of adding sticky notes to your desktop Mac, ensuring that you never miss an important task or appointment again. Follow our easy-to-understand instructions and start making the most of this handy desktop feature today.
Nothing compares to the apps and features that are pre-installed on the MacBook as they are quite accessible and easy to use. The sticky note is one of those pre-installed apps which is developed for notes taking purposes.
By using this app, you can conveniently make sticky notes while doing any other task on your computer. These sticky notes remain on the computer for quick access and are available at all times.
What are Sticky Notes?
Sticky notes are slight, rectangular pieces of paper with a self-adhesive backing that allows them to be easily attached to surfaces such as walls, computer monitors, and desktops. We typically use them as a tool for jotting down quick notes, reminders, and to-do lists.
Apple brought sticky notes into the modern era by featuring them as a fantastic way to add reminders to your MacBook, making them an early, and built-in application for Mac computers.
Stickies give you a broad range of options. These notes are extremely useful for making lecture notes from an online class or adding extra information to a book. However, they are difficult to use on a desktop Mac and many people are searching for simple ways to do that.
How to Add a Sticky Note on Mac?
- First of all, open the sticky app from your apps folder. You can also search for it by using “Finder” if you cannot find it in apps.
2. After opening the app, you will see two crafted notes with greetings and instructions (if you have never used the app earlier).
3. Once the pop-ups are closed, only one window will remain and you can write your sticky note on that window.
4. You can freely move your sticky note with a slight click and hold and easily position it over any other windows.
5. You can write any text in the note or paste any text by pressing “Command+V”. By pressing these keys, it will paste your copied text to your note.
6. If you want to add more notes to your Desktop, you can press “Command+N” to create an additional note. Multiple sticky note can be opened simultaneously.
7. You can also change the color of your sticky notes by clicking the “Color” option located at the top of the menu.
8. Then, you can make a color choice for your note such as Yellow, Green, Blue, etc. if you want to use the transparent (see-through) color, you can select the Translucent color option.
9. Any of the standard Mac fonts can be used to change the font on your sticky note. Text can also be changed. We can also change the text in size, bold, italic, and other ways.
10. Highlight the existing text on the sticky note before making any changes.
11. After that, click on the option of “Font” from the menu and select Show Fonts to change the font of your text.
12. You can choose any font and your text in the note will appear in that selected font.
Adding a sticky note on a Mac is a simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Notes app on your Mac. Find it in the Applications folder.
- Click on the “New Note” button located in the top left corner of the window. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut Command + N.
- A new note will appear on your screen. Type in your desired text or information.
- To turn the note into a sticky note, click on the “Note” menu located in the top left corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Make Note” or use the keyboard shortcut Command + L.
- The note will now appear as a sticky note on your desktop. You can move it around and resize it by clicking and dragging on the edges of the note.
- To edit the sticky note, simply click on it and start typing. You can also change the color of the note by clicking on the “Note” menu and selecting a new color.
- To delete the sticky note, simply click on it and press the “Delete” key on your keyboard or right-click on the note and select “Delete Note”.
That’s it! You can now use sticky notes to keep important information and reminders easily accessible on your Mac desktop
How to Arrange the Sticky Note?
Your digital notes can quickly become congested if you use them frequently, just like physical notes. The good news is that you can control this to clear up the clutter on your screen and keep track of your crucial notes in a better way.
- Open the sticky app, and tap on Window.
- Then, click on the “Arrange by” option and choose any arrangement option.
- You will arrange your note by color, alphabetical order, date, and on-screen location.
How to Make Sticky Notes Easier to Access?
If you have many sticky notes on the Desktop, it will be quite hard to find any notes when needed. If you want a specific sticky note to remain visible while using other apps, make it “Float” on your screen. Here’s how you can do that:
- Select a note from the list or start a new one.
- Then, click on the Window option from the upper side of your screen.
- Now, choose the option of “Float on Top”.
- After that, the sticky note you have selected will keep floating above all other programs on your Desktop.
How to Change the Size of a Sticky Note?
The best thing about sticky notes (created by Stickies) is that they are completely customizable. Hold the lower left or right corner and position it in or out to the desired size to change the note’s size. Once you have changed, it will continue to appear on your desktop at this size.
You can use the note’s right-hand corner. It only takes a single note click and a light drag to get the size you want.
How to Save a Sticky Note on Mac?
Every change you make to your notes will be automatically saved by Stickies, so you can quit the app or reboot your Mac without worrying about losing anything. However, if you have closed a sticky note, you cannot access it again.
That’s why whenever you close a note, this app will prompt you to save the note. You should press the save button from the prompt before closing it if you want to keep the note.
What are the Best Sticky Note Apps for Mac?
There are several sticky note apps available for Mac, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Here are some of the best sticky note apps for Mac:
It already installed stickies on macOS. Users can create notes on the screen in the easiest manner. To-do lists and short reminders can be written using stickies and then set as sticky notes. There are many customization options available in the app as mentioned above in the article.
We can also use unclutter as a sticky note app. It contains a combination of three functions i.e. taking notes, managing a clipboard, and managing files. If you want to use it as a separate “Notes-only” app, you can disable the other two functions.
This popular note-taking app is available for Mac and offers a wide range of features, including note organization, task lists, reminders, and collaboration. Evernote also allows you to add images, audio, and video to your notes.
4. Simple Antnotes
It is a menu bar app that can make notes on Mac. It has a “Pin note to desktop” option that enables notes to float on the screen above all windows. You can also change the color, size, and font of your notes through this app.
5. Quick Note
Quick Note a simple click or keyboard shortcut on a Mac device can access the app. Notes created by this app can float above all other apps so they are always visible on the screen. Simple Antnotes and Stickies do not support full-screen mode, which is one of Quick Note’s best features.
What are the Uses of Sticky Notes?
Sticky notes are a versatile and convenient tool that can be used for a variety of purposes. Here are some common uses of sticky notes:
1. Set Reminders
You can use sticky notes to set reminders for yourself. You don’t have to export any data for this purpose. Put the notes at the top of your desktop after selecting the event and entering the details.
2. Data Collection
The window should not minimize while you are gathering information on your computer. If it keeps minimizing, the switching between tabs will slow down the process. Stickies make it possible to take notes without collapsing the main window.
3. Create Questions
All of your students out there should read this one. Asking lots of questions about the lectures and textbooks is an important component of effective learning. It gives you the option to start a new fresh note on each page which makes it easier to create maximum questions during a lecture.
Some other uses include use for to-do lists, bookmarking, organizing, used for group brainstorming, quick note-taking, and more.
How to Hide Sticky Notes on Desktop Mac?
A sticky note can be expanded or collapsed by clicking twice on the title bar. You can also choose Window > Collapse from the app’s menu.
How to Remove a Sticky Note on Mac?
Click on the tiny white square located in the upper corner of the note to delete this note from your desktop.
How can I reinstall Stickies on my Mac?
The Stickies app can be restored by reinstalling macOS through macOS Recovery.